Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Ottawa County News; Friday, May 10, 1872

While I was doing some research on the Hopfinger family I was reading a newspaper from Ottawa County dated May 10th, 1872. There was a long column on "helography" ending with:

...photographs can be had of R. H. Bliven, Elmore, at the following prices, to wit:
First-class Card Photographs, per doz, $3.00
6 ...................................................................1.50
A specialty of large photographs and card pictures of babies.
Negatives retouched and satisfaction guaranteed. Framers of all kinds on hand or procured to order.
Do you remember the picture I posted of Hezelton Rudes? You know the one. This one. At the time I believed the image to be taken in 1874 or so. Since his ad in the newspaper is for the Elmore studio and it isn't mentioned that the studio is new, I assume it was there for at least a little while before May, 1872. Also, according to the back of the image the cost per dozen was only $2.50, not the $3.00 mentioned in the newspaper. Since prices rarely go down I assume that dates the image to even earlier. Although the clothing does still date to the 1880's so in this case more information on the photographer doesn't help but I will have to remember this for future reference. Maybe next time I am searching for something unrelated I will find an announcement for the studio moving. I wonder if I look for information on Bliven's Studio if I will manage to dig up the information on the Hopfingers I wanted. :-)

No comments: