Monday, March 1, 2010

Who's That Lady? -- Part II


This image comes from a small album I found. No images were labeled in this album and while I found a cover for an album of the same size with the name of the owner in it, I can't be 100% sure it belongs to this album. I mentioned this album before and posted another picture from this album. Let's work with the evidence in the image first.

Due to the condition of the image there are only really a couple details you can pick out. If you look closely you will see her sleeves are about 3/4 length with a trim effect on the bottom making them almost full length, her bodice extends below the waist, she has a high stand collar, is wearing jewelry (at least a ring) and has her hair pulled back in a bun. That narrows the clothing to the 1880's. If I could see the skirt in more detail I would be able to narrow it further but sadly this one is in pretty sorry shape.

Now, this might look like a slight flash back to last weeks mystery Monday and I believe this image was also made by Wm. Newton since they have the same background & the same table that is commonly used by Wm. Newton. She is also posed in the stereotypical pose of Mr. Newton i.e. the book on the table, hand on the book. That also gives us a location, Mr. Newton was a photographer in Port Clinton, Ohio between 1885 & 1889. Sadly, that would imply that the cover of the album I found doesn't belong to this album because the album is dated as June 10th, 1881 so I can't really narrow anything down any further. If the cover matched I could at least narrow it down to family but that isn't the case now. I might have to do some more investigating of Mr. Newton and see if it is possible he was operating before 1885.

Timeframe: Most likely between 1885 & 1889.

Where It Fits: You tell me.

No comments: