Monday, April 24, 2017

Mystery Monday - Toledo, Ohio

Who's ready for a game of Jeopary?  I'll take "Name This Man" for $1000, Alec.


I'm looking for the who, what, when, where and why on this gentleman right here.  I'll start with what I know and then I'll eagerly await the flood of messages about what YOU know.  :)

Let's start with WHERE.  This photograph was taken by McKecknie & Oswald in Toledo, Ohio.  According to page 79 of 'Ohio Photographers', they operated in Toledo from 1882-1899.  They were located at 197 Summit Street 1882-1888 & then at 619 St. Clair from 1889 to 1899 but sadly this image doesn't seem to have an address on it.

Next up is WHEN.  The where helped narrow that down greatly so we are looking at a starting point between 1882 & 1899.  Since this is an image of a lone male I am not sure we can narrow the time from down any more but let's see what we can figure out.  If this picture was closer to the Summit Street address, things I would expect to see are:

  • sleeves high on his shoulder 
  • white shirt
  • wide and soft tie
If this image is closer to the dates from St. Clair, what I would expect to see are:
  • small coats buttoned all the way to the top
  • white shirts with small stiff collars (getting progressively higher the closer to 1900)
  • narrow tie - usually black or with a pattern
  • short hair with large mustaches
I am thinking this didn't help much at all as he can be firmly seated in either one of these time frames but this makes it moderately "recent" history so hopefully at least one of you will recognize today's mystery man and help get him named.  

No comments: