Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Written Wednesday: Der brave Junge - Part 1

The good boy

By Julius Johannsen in Ohio (North America)

(Presented and prepared for print by Dr. Peter Jensen, Hamburg)

Chapter 1

On Wrewelsbull a young couple in the Magdekammer sabbed on the edge of their bed and had their arm. The girl was the little Julle Schuster from Osterdeich. The boy
was Hans Jensen from Horsbull; He was a crude, handsome, young man; Six feet and two thumbs up, he stood in his socks; He was slender and broad-shouldered, and had a
broad breast. His eyes were bright and blue, and his hair was so light-baked that it looked more like a bunch of well-bleached flax than naked hair. He had a rough,
Friesian nose, but she was not quite straight in the face; "She is turning a little to the south-west," said Hans, and he was a poor, parentless child: his father
had already died when he was only three years old, and his own He was a widow and had a small bunch of children, often going away to work from home, and then Hans
had to drop out of school And to stay at home to keep the little ones, so that he did not often come to school, and therefore learned little, and he had to serve
with the peasants during the summer, and his wages were scarce for his clothes But he could not help much, but he was twenty, he was good and frugal, and what he
could do brought him to his aunt, so he also cured a great deal of him, and with him he had his home.

Little Julle was the only child of her mother; They were also short, for their father had long been dead; But her mother always cared that Julle was going to school;
So Julle had a good education. Her mother often went to church, and when Julle was still small, she always took her to church service. When Julle had grown up and had
a duty, she continued to go to the church regularly, if she could only get there. She and Hans had known each other for a long time; And that they loved each other,
they both knew; To a debate however what it never came. -

But now Hans had been conscripted as a soldier, and the next day he had to go to Copenhagen to serve with the Guard. "Oha," said Julle, "I do not like to think you
have to leave," and she wiped a trane from her eyes.

"Yes," replied Hans, "it is not yet time to go apart, for you are the only one in the world that I love, and I am sure that my heart will strike only for you, let me
go where I am My thoughts are always with you. "

"So I am," said Julle, "so it will be so hard for me to go away," and the tears ran down her cheeks.

"You can not cry so much, little darling," Hans said, wiping her tears, "it's just a few years, then I'll come back."

"You can get on vacation by the time," she said. "Nien, I do not think so," replied Hans, "it is too far, I have no money for the journey, the Danes will give me little pay, and I have no money now, I have my reward for my aunt Given it. "

"This is from you that you are good to your aunt," said Julle, "that God will reward you again, but I think it will be possible for you to come home, I will save my wages And can help you pay the trip. " "Yes, this way," said Hans, "it may be a matter of course, but that still has time, we do not yet know how much it costs."

"You have to write a letter every week."

"I and letters write," Hans replied, "no, you will not get me, I can not write, I have not learned to write."

"Then you have to learn it," said Julle.

"How can I do that," replied Hans, "the Danes will probably not teach me, and if they did, it would be Danish, you could not read, and I did not learn German , For I have only come to school in vain. "

"There's no need," Julle said, "just try and it'll be fine, but if it's so strange, I'll read it, and you'll learn to write."

"But I think you can not read what I am writing," said Hans, "I can not spell, and you will laugh at me."

"No, do not be afraid," Julle replied, "I love you too much for laughing at you, just try to promise me, you will, Hans."

"Yes," said Hans, "I will try."

"And as soon as I get your address, I'll write you a letter every week," Julle said, "you can read it."

"No, just spell a bit," he replied, "that's about all I can do."

"That is enough," said Julle, "then you will soon learn to read, and if you love me you will already understand what I am writing." And so they talked until after midnight.

"Now it is time," said Hans, "that I come home, I have to get up early to run for tonders."

"Just a little more," Julle said, pressing her head firmly against Hans's chest, the tears running down her cheeks, and she sobbed that her whole body was trembling.

"Well, well," consoled Hans, "you must not take it to heart." He wiped the tears from her and printed a lower kiss on her lips; Then he took her like a child in his arm, stood up and said, "Well, now let me go, I have not long time."

The clock was one, when Julle Hans went out to the north door. Hans went with a light heart, he knew for sure that there was at least one heart in the world that beat him; And Julle went to bed and cried to sleep .--

No comments: