Wednesday, March 29, 2023

A Case of Mistaken Marriage


The Gazette out of Lexington, Virginia dated Thursday, February 2, 1860 has this shocking story on the front page. 


 The Lynchburg Daily Virginian has a similar account they shared on January 27, 1860 via Chicago.




I, being the curious/nosy, person I am checked the Ottawa County, Ohio marriage records for December 1859 and January, 1860 and found only five marriages (Harmon Anglebeck & Nancy Wonnell; John Schmardcheck & Anna Schroder; Henry Snider & Abigail Knight; John Stewart & Rhoda Moore; Joel Labeen & Hester Vellequett) but none of them are listed as having filed for divorce.  I let you know if I ever figure out who they are because I'm crazy curious to see what happened to them.  I can't believe somebody actually did that.  Good grief!!  


No comments: