Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Jopp Family Bible

 While I was looking for something entirely unrelated I stumbled upon a list of family Bible's currently in possession of the Hayes Presidential Center.  On the list was Stoner and Jopp.  I called, asked some questions and received scanned copies of both!  JACKPOT!  Sadly at this time I don't know where the Stoner family fits with our Stoners but the Jopp was a home run.  Below are the pages I received.  





Unfortunately some of this is hard to read and in the true motherly fashion she listed each and every one of her babies and nothing about herself or her husband.  However from this we can see that the Bible was printed in 1813 and gifted to Mary Jopp in 1815.  At this time I believe they were still living in New York and the other records I have show them coming to Ohio in 1831.  You can also spot some fun spellings such as "Munday" and a gift being one word.  If anybody can make out the information on Luas Elbert that would be wonderful but I'm going cross eyed trying.   

Where it fits:  Due to the inscription reading "agift give to Mary Jopp by. . . " I believe this is the Bible of Mary Jopp and probably by proxy her husband Daniel.  Together they are the parents of Orin, Betsey, Isaac, Sally, Jerusha, Elbert, Luther, Miller, Eliza Jane, Wealthy Ann (spelled Welthyan in the Bible) and Hudson.  Miller Jopp married Augusta Horton and together they were the parents of Laura Etta.  Laura Etta married David Stone and was the mother of Helen Naomi Stoner.  Helen married Dale Allen and they were the parents of LaDonna, Donald, Ralph "Jim" James, Richard, Thomas, Virginia, Robert, Carol & Margaret.  

P.S. if you can tell who gifted her the Bible I'd also appreciate that.  Tim and I are betting it's a misspelling of Priest Parker.  

No comments: