Saturday, February 20, 2010

My Marie?!


I believe this is Marie Christiansen Johannsen. I have posted about her before but this is an unidentified picture so I am not 100% sure it is her. Let's start with a quick review. Last month I posted a picture of her that was taken in the late 1860's or very early 1870's. Earlier this month I posted one from the early 1900's, probably 1906. I believe this woman looks a great deal like Marie and would fall comfortably between the other two photographs. What do you think? Do I have another picture of Marie?

Timeframe: The tight sleeves, the flounce on the bottom of the skirt and the length of the bodice date this picture to the 1880's. I would guess late 1880's since the mid 1880's has a much larger bustle. A "Newton, William H." operated a studio in Port Clinton from 1885 to 1889. Assuming William H & William M are one and the same it would narrow it to between 1885 & 1889. In the spring of 1885, Marie would have been 62.

Where It Fits: Assuming this is Marie Christiansen, she married Wilhelm Johannsen in 1851 and they are the parents of Julius & August Johannsen. That would make Marie the grandmother of William, Marie, Adele, August, John, Nelson, Lilly, Paul, Lorenz, William E., Nettie & Emma.

No comments: