Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Postcard: Oh Pickles


Today I have a lovely postcard that was "sent" to Merle Fritsche, Oak Harbor, O.


Whoever the writer is wanted to know what Merle thought of "Butch". She also seemed to live a little ways from where she worked since she was taking public transportation and it was a big deal that she almost missed the last car the night before. I share the sentiment of the writer. "Oh pickles!" If only she would have signed it we would know who she was. Any clues?

Timeframe: It is dated October 16, 1910. With the vertical trim effects on the bodice, the dickey effects around the high collar, tight & plain sleeves, the slim, straight skirt and the hair with a center part and wide a the sides suggest between 1908 & 1914 so the 1910 date is very possible.

Where It Fits: Merle Fritsche is the daughter of Robert John Fritsche and Caroline Hopfinger. She married Leon Leutz in 1913 and was the mother of Mary Caroline, Robert & A.J. As far as who the woman in the picture is or how she is related I haven't the slightest. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Judy said...

My mother, Jean Thierwechter Longpre says that this is her mother's writing. Merle was Florence's best friend and it makes sense that it would be Florence sending the postcard. It was before she was dating my grandfather George Thierwechter. I compared the writing to the recipe book that I inherited from my grandmother Florence and the writing is the same