Sunday, November 22, 2009

Ambrotype


Today I am showcasing the oldest image I have found, so far anyway. Today we have an ambrotype from roughly 1853 - 1859. The image is still in the case, the case is a little worse for wear but considering the age it is in beautiful shape. The inside has a stamped velvet cushion of a very deep red.


The outside of the case is starting to wear away. The cover feels almost like a very thin leather but I can't make out the original box materials. It does not appear to be made of wood so maybe the 1850's card board? It feels very papery. You can also see the metal hook and eye closure on the side. Please keep in mind all the details on this "giant" box is about 2.5 inches wide and shy of 3 inches tall. Our current wallet sized photographs are bigger then the entire box.


Timeframe: The hay day for the ambrotype was the 1850's. Judging by the hair styles and clothing of the lady I can narrow it down to 1853-1859.

Where it Fits: I haven't the slightest idea. Assuming she is related and not just a novelty that somebody picked up along the way we are looking for a woman born in the 1820's or 1830's. There are no imprints to narrow down the geography so I can't suggest where she might have been living at the time. I just found this to be highly fascinating so I thought I would share.

No comments: