Monday, November 9, 2009

Grandpa & Mom


This is one of the pictures that really makes me enjoy name hunting. Dad and I took a bunch of pictures over to Uncle Bob's a week or so ago. As we were looking through the stack of pictures I brought a big smile crept across Uncle Bob's face. I instantly knew I was in for a story. It seems this is a picture of his mother, Merle. The gentleman in the picture is none other than Merle's father, Robert. According to Bob, Merle loved this picture and it was always on display somewhere in her home. Shortly after Merle's death Bob went looking for it and it was nowhere to be found. He has wondered what happened to it ever since. He requested a copy and I will have it ready the next time I see him. I hope I get the same smile when he sees it again.


Timeframe: Judging by the lack of wedding rings on Merle & Robert neither were married at the time. Robert was married from 1889 to 1910 and again after June of 1916. Merle married Leon in 1913. I therefore assume this was taken between 1910 & 1913. That would make the age of Merle between 16 & 18 and Robert between 48 & 50.

Where It Fits: Merle is the only child of Robert Fritsche & Caroline Hopfinger that survived to adulthood. Merle married Leon Leutz and is the mother of Mary Cary, Robert and A.J.

No comments: