Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Label problem

I noticed something yesterday and thought I would share it with you while it was still fresh in my mind.

There are a couple basic things I like to know about each photograph. Who/what is in it, when it was taken and where. This adorable little guy is labeled. On the back it says "William Michel son of Frank & Amelia Michel". Now we have the who. When it was taken is where this gets a little tricky. There is a William Michel that is the son of Frank Michel. He was born April 1888. It shouldn't be to hard to figure out when this was taken since he doesn't appear to be very old. When I looked up Hoover in Oak Harbor in "Ohio Photographers" I found a Jacob Hoover that was operating in Oak Harbor in 1881 & 1882. In 1882, Frank Michel was only ten so I doubt if this picture was taken in 1881/1882 that it was of his son. So, is this picture mislabeled? Was there another Hoover photographer in Oak Harbor? Any suggestions? Please, if you notice anything mislabeled please speak up.

Timeframe: Good question!

Where It Fits: Assuming that this is in fact William Michel he is the son of Frank Michel & Emilie Fritsche. Emilie is the sister of John Robert Fritsche.

No comments: